Saturday, September 15, 2018

Bumpin' up and down in our little Jeep wagon

Sept 15 (Sat)

First thing waking up I got the rest of my stuff packed up. I had most everything ready from last night. We had sort of a buffet style continental breakfast at Manny’s since we needed to head out to church earlier than they normally serve individual meals. The church service lasted just over 2 hours and was all in Nepali, so nobody could understand what was being talked about. Not only that, but everyone had to sit on the floor, women on the left and men on the right. It might be normal to sit on the floor for 2 hours over here in Nepal, but I could hardly deal with that! I felt like I needed to change positions every 5 minutes or so. I normally feel much more spiritual in a big lofty old church, but this little cement building was strangely and humbly beautiful. I could see the congregation truly felt God, even if the building itself seemed so simple. Maybe it is better that way.

We grabbed our bags and all our tools and loaded up on 3 jeeps. It was a task getting all the luggage and toolboxes on the roof racks and covered/tied down, but eventually we got things situated. It was nice to be working on the church building in Kathmandu, but now was the time to leave and build the houses that initially inspired me.

Trishuli is only 146 km from Kathmandu, but the roads and traffic are terrible, and there isn’t a great way to get there. The drive took us FIVE HOURS! Driving on some of the worst roads I have ever travelled. But we all made it in one piece. We stopped a few times along the route to stretch out our legs and backs, swap seats, whatever we needed to do. We are staying the nights at the Hotel Water Tower, which is actually the nicest place in the whole village. And there’s everything that we could need - cold water, western-style toilets, WiFi, air conditioning, the works. And only about 10 minutes from the jobsites. I’m getting excited: building the houses for the orphans, widow, and disabled townsfolk is the reason that I wanted to come on the trip: to be helpful for the helpless.



There were so many of these colorful vehicles!









Impossible to capture the actual beauty of this region

No comments:

Post a Comment